How to get an Iran visa?
How to Get Iran Visa at a Glance
Fill in the Iran visa application form
Pay the visa code assistance service fee
Receive your visa tracking code within 2-7 working days
Get your visa stamp at designated Iran embassy or Iran international airport
How to Get Iran Tourist Visa?
Iran visa is permission to enter Iran. The Iranian ministry of foreign affairs (MFA) ordains Iran visa policy. All nationals except the ones who are exempt from obtaining Iran E-visa need to get an official authority from MFA. Nowadays travel permit to Iran becomes electronic, which is called Iran E-visa. Accordingly, there are two ways for obtaining Iran E-visa, the first and the best one is applying through an official tour, travel or visa agency of Iran. These agencies are experts in getting travel permits to Iran. They have connections to get your visas faster and easier.
The second way is to get an Iran E- visa from Iran ministry of foreign affairs (MFA) website. Sometimes after applying through this website, you are asked to restart the process through an official travel agency. It is important to know that Canadians, Americans and the English must apply their visa code only through an official travel agency that arranges all the services of their Iran tour package.
Iran visa-free Countries
“Who needs a visa for Iran?”
This is the first and the most important question to ask before planning for Iran tour.
The citizens of Azerbaijan, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Bolivia, Georgia, Egypt, China, Hong Kong, and Macau can travel to Iran without getting an Iran visa. All other nationalities have to obtain a visa before their Iran tour.
On the other hand, All foreign tourists can travel to Iran’s visa-free zones, Kish and Qeshm islands. You can visit the mentioned islands without getting a visa and enjoy a segment of Iran’s natural and historical landscapes. You can stay on this island for up to 14 days without a visa.
It is important to know that the citizens of Israel cannot travel to Iran due to political issues.
Iran Visa Requirements
The below documents are the same for all nationalities.
- A scan of your a passport that has at least six months validity and 2 blank pages
- A new taken personal photo with the all-white background that shows full-frontal your face without smile, glasses, and hat (ladies do not need to wear head covers.)
- Visa application form through an official travel agency
Canadians, Americans, and English, in addition to the mentioned above documents, are required to have the below documents:
- A fixed tour plan escorted by a licensed full-time guide that should be arranged by an official Iranian travel agency
- A resume containing contact, education (since high school), jobs and all kinds of work experiences information
Iran Invitation Letter
Visa Authorization Number
Visa Tracking Code
Once filling out the Iran E-visa application form, you should determine the place where you intend to collect your visa. It could be one of the Iran embassies located in your country or any other country or one of the Iran airports. Please note that some nationals cannot collect their visa stamps at the airport.
After sending the documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) or an official travel agency, your visa tracking code or authorization number would be issued in 2-7 working days. Sometimes, due to the Iran national holidays such as Nowruz, this duration may become a little longer. There is an exception for the UK, US and Canadian passport holders which their visa code is issued in 30-45 working days. Iran’s authorization number is valid for 30 days.
Iran Visa Stamp
It is important to know that the visa code is not your visa. In a few days after receiving the visa code, you should refer to the Iran embassy that you have determined in your visa application form. Paying visa stamp fee, you will get Iran visa stamp on your passport or a separate piece of paper regarding your nationality.
Please note that the visa code would be expired after 30 days. If you would not stamp your visa in this time limit, you have to start over the visa process. The visa stamping process duration at the embassies varies from one day to 14 days or more in different countries. So, be careful to have got plenty of time for stamping your visa before your travel. In the case that you want to collect your visa on arrival, you will pass the stamping process at one of the Iran airports upon your arrival.
Iran visa stamp is valid for 90 days. You can enter Iran once in this interval and stay up to 30 days. If you intend to stay more than 30 days you can extend your visa by referring to Iran police offices. You can find these police offices (NAJA) in some of the major cities. You should refer to NAJA about 3 days before ending this 30-day.
Can I get visa on arrival in Iran?
Iran On-Arrival Visa (VOA)
Most of the travelers to Iran can get their Iran visa on arrival. If it is hard for you to refer to an Iran embassy, you can stamp your visa upon your arrival. However, the citizens of the below countries cannot get VOA stamp:
America, England, Canada, Somalia, Colombia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Jordan, and Iraq.
The mentioned above nationals have to get their visas at one of the Iran embassies.
If you have permission to get a VOA stamp, you need to determine the international airport from which you enter Iran in your visa application form. It is too risky to enter Iran without a visa code because you might be deported at the airport.
Getting Iran Visa on Arrival Process
When you arrive at Iran airport, you should hand over the below documents to the Visa-On-Arrival counter:
- The printout of visa grant notice containing visa tracking code
- Passport (with at least 6 months validity and 2 blank pages)
- Visa stamp fee in euros
- Travel insurance
- Return ticket and a brief itinerary based on request
You should determine your accommodation contact information in Iran, pay the visa stamp fee and get your visa stamped. The process is not hard but you have to wait in the line for a while. Consequently, with the on-arrival Iran visa stamp, you can stay in this country for 30 days and this time could not be extended.
Getting Iran E-Visa in Advance Benefits
On the internet, Some former visitors to Iran shared their experience about entering Iran without the visa code and just collect their visa stamp at the airport. We advise to not to do that. Here are 3 reasons that explain why you should get your Iran visa code before your Iran trip.
- First: You can experience a stress-free journey to Iran
Without a visa code, the risk of becoming rejected at the airports are higher.
- Second: you can get your entering stamp faster
You may have to stay in visa lines and were asked many questions about your Iran visit at the airport.
- Third: stamping visa at Iran embassies and consulates are cheaper than VOA
You can Save up to 30% to 50% on your visa stamp fees when you collect it in advance.
Most Frequent Questions and Answers about Iran Visa
1) Your passport that at least must be valid for six months and have at two blank visa pages
2) Your personal photo that must be:
· Reflect your current look (be taken within the last 6 months)
· In color with white background
· In JPEG (.jpg or .jpeg) file format
· Between 10 kB to 500 kB in file size
· In 400(minimum-width) x 600(minimum-height) pixels
· The eyes looking direct to the camera with the full-frontal view of the face in the center of the photo
· With no eyeglasses nor head-wear except for the religious one that reflects no shadow on the face
· Without any adhesive tape or staples
· With a neutral facial expression and no smile
3) Detailed resume including information about contacting, education, and occupation for Americans, Canadians and the English
The citizens of the below countries can visit Iran without visa:
Azerbaijan, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Bolivia, Georgia, Egypt, China, Hong Kong, and Macau
Iran visa stamp is valid for 90 days. You can enter Iran once in this interval and stay up to for 30 days.
All nationals except Americans, Canadians and the English can get Iran visa stamp on a separate piece of paper. Also, the entry and exit stamps would be put on this paper. Please note that some Iranian embassies are still put the Iran visa stamp on your passport.
The answer is Yes. Although previously, the Indians had to refer to the Iranian embassies to get their visa stamped, these days, they can also get Iran visa on arrival (airport visa). However, the visa stamp fee at the airport is higher than the stamping in the embassy.
You can stamp your visa in an Iranian embassy or upon arrival (If you have the conditions). However, for both method, you need to apply for Iran visa code in advance. It is too risky to enter Iran without a visa code because you might be deported at the airport.
Iran visa tracking code, also known as Iran visa authorization number or Iran visa code, is a number that is issued by the Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) if your visa request is accepted. On the other hand, for entering the country, you must obtain Iran visa stamp by representing visa code to Iranian embassy or airport.
Yes, US passport holders can get Iran visa and travel to this country. Please note that Canadians, Americans and the English must apply for Iran visa code only through an official travel agency who arranges all the services of their Iran tour package.
It depends on your nationality. If you are American, Canadian, or the English, you need to have your itinerary organized before applying for Iran visa. In other words, you need to book all services of your Iran tour including hotels, guides, domestic and international flights, and all local transportation before applying for the visa. However, the citizens of other countries do not need to book their services and have a fixed itinerary before applying.
Yes, to extend your Iran visa, you need to visit the nearest Police Department in all major cities including Tehran, Shiraz, Isfahan, Mashhad, and Yazd a few days before visa expiration. If your request is accepted, your Iran visa would be extended for 30 to 60 days.
The Bangladeshi and Afghan passport holders cannot get Iran visa by travel agencies. So, they should apply for a visa in the Iranian embassies or consulates personally.
Iran tourist visa cost includes two fees:
1. Visa service fee that you give to the travel agency. It is around 15 euro, and if you buy the tour package from the agency, it is free on your tour.
2. Visa stamp fee that varies depending on your nationality. If you want to collect your visa from an Iranian embassy, you should check the price with the designated embassy. On the other hand, if you are going to obtain your visa on arrival, you should pay the on-arrival visa stamp fee at Visa-On-Arrival counter at the Iran airport.
Apply for an Iran Business visa (entry visa), in addition to requirements for Iran tourist visa, needs the following documents:
- An invitation from Iran host company approved by Foreign Ministry, with official letterhead, with official letterhead, seal and signature and seal
- The subject of your invitation
- The registered name of your host Company in Iran Company Registration General Office
- Registration Number of your host company
- Address, contact number and a scan of the birth certificate of the host company manager
- Address and contact number of your host company
- A scan of the official newspaper or journal of your host company
Important Note: You cannot get Iran visa on arrival (VOA) for business travel to Iran
The process of getting Iran tourist visa usually takes two weeks. Maximally seven working days to get visa tracking code and about one week to obtain the visa stamp from an Iranian embassy or consulate.
Note 1: the duration of stamping the visa in Iranian embassy or consulate may take less or more.
Note 2: The issuance of Iran visa code for Americans, Canadians and the English takes 30 to 45 working days.
Note 3: If you intend to collect Iran visa on arrival, you will get your visa stamp at the Iran airport, and you don’t need to refer to an Iranian embassy or consulate.
Yes, you can, but after 365 days. In other words, if you have an Israel visa stamp in your passport or any document indicating that you have traveled to Israel, you can apply for an Iran visa 365 months later.
Notably, Israeli passport holders are banned from visiting Iran.