Top 10 Places to Visit in Tehran
Best Places to Visit in Tehran
If we want to describe Tehran in 3 words, we can say: Lively, Big, and Illuminated.
Tehran, the capital of Iran, is the most populous and enormous city of Iran, which unfortunately is often overlooked by tourists and rushed through. But you should know that Tehran is a symbol of modern life in Iran, a city where movement never stops. Besides, this 7,000-year-old city, along with modernity, displays the rich history and culture of Iran.
In this article, we will introduce you to the top 10 places to visit in Tehran, and we will provide you with everything you need to know about these attractions as a tourist.
So stay with us and if you have any questions about the attraction of Tehran and visiting Iran in general, do not hesitate to contact us.
Niavaran Palace Complex
Niavaran Palace Complex, one of the last royal residences in Iran, is among the top 10 places to visit in Tehran, located in the Shemiranat region. This collection of palaces and mansions is located in the Niavaran lush garden with an area of about 11 hectares near the Alborz Mountains.
Niavaran Palaces have a simple yet modern architecture. In these palaces, you can see the belongings of the former kings of Iran, including beautiful furniture, mirrors, valuable handmade carpets, precious decorative utensils, exquisite paintings by famous Iranian and foreign painters, and beautiful tile works.
Today, Niavaran Complex consists of Niavaran Garden, Niavaran Private Palace, Sahebqaraniyeh Palace, Hozkhaneh Museum, Ahmad Shahi Palace, Jahannama Museum, Private Library, Museum of Private Cars, and Garden of Inscriptions.
Why You Should Visit Niavaran Palace Complex
- Niavaran Palace was the residence of the last Shah of Iran with his family.
- You will see an interesting combination of Iranian and European architecture in this palace.
- The palaces stand in the middle of a beautiful garden with great views.
- Niavaran Palace is the only royal building in Iran with a retractable (openable) roof.
With a height of 435 meters, Milad Tower is the tallest structure in Tehran, the third tallest tower in the Middle East, and the sixth tallest telecommunication tower globally. Milad Tower is also the 19th tallest unreliable structure in the world that can be seen from most parts of Tehran. Currently, Milad Tower in Tehran is known in the world as the symbol of Tehran.
In addition to telecommunication facilities, Milad Tower houses commercial centers, restaurants, conference centers, museums, etc. Hence, it has become one of the most important sights of Tehran.
Interestingly, Milad Tower in Tehran has 1693 stairs, and exciting competitions are held along its stairs. The record of climbing the stairs of Milad Tower is about 11 minutes.
Why You Should Visit Milad Tower
- It is the tallest tower in Iran and the sixth telecommunication tower in the world.
- Milad Tower is one of the top places to visit in Tehran, which can be seen from many parts of the city. As a result, it has been considered one of the symbols of Tehran city in recent years. Also, it offers you a unique view of Tehran.
- This tower offers many entertainments, including zipline, hanging bridge, cinema, attractive restaurants and cafes, and so on.
- It is a good destination for children to have fun; it houses an exclusive section for children.
- This tower hosts different festivals.
- Milad Tower Revolving Restaurant is one of the exceptional restaurants in Iran.
- It is a great nightlife destination in Tehran.
Saad Abad Complex
If you are interested in visiting historical places, the Saad Abad complex is one of the most prominent Tehran attractions. The complex consists of 18 palaces and museums in a vast garden that belonged to the last kings of Iran in the Qajar and Pahlavi periods. Hence, visiting this complex can provide you with exciting information about Iran’s contemporary history.
Even if you are not interested in history, Saad Abad Palace still fascinates you with its beauty. The lush garden of Saadabad with the view of palaces is an excellent place for passing a couple of hours.
Two of the main palaces in this complex are the White Palace and the Green Palace, which are open to visitors.
Moreover, there are several museums in Saadabad Complex, including the Farshchian Museum, Melat Museum (Nation Museum), and the Museum of the Royal Automobiles.
Why You Should Visit Saad Abad Complex
- It is one of the most beautiful historical places to visit in Tehran.
- This monument is a valuable relic of the Qajars and Pahlavis.
- It houses numerous museums with different themes that can cater to all tastes.
- It is one of the most popular places for photography in Tehran.
- The complex offers good facilities, including cafes and restaurants.
- You can experience a pleasant walk in this complex.
- Saadabad Palace presents a marvelous combination of Iranian and European architecture.
- It is located near Darband recreational site.
Tajrish Indoor Bazaar is one of the old markets and best places to visit in Tehran, which along with buying a variety of goods, you can enjoy walking around. So, this marketplace is one of the most memorable places in Tehran for many international tourists.
This bazaar, located in the north of Tehran and the Shemiranat region, leads to Tajrish Square on one side and Tajrish Metro on the other; Meanwhile, Imamzadeh Saleh (AS) is located at the end of this market.
Interestingly, the activity and bustle in the bazaar double as the sunset approaches. Accordingly, this market is the only traditional market in Iran that is open during the evening.
This market, with 400 shops, offers a variety of goods, including fresh and delicious foods, copper utensils, nuts, spices, pickles, etc. Besides, you can visit Imamzadeh Saleh (AS), Takiyeh Tajrish, Ghaem Passage, etc., in the vicinity of this market. Actually, Tajrish Bazaar is a minor example of Tehran Grand Bazaar.
In addition to the indoor section of the market, the outer part is vibrant. Particularly in the summertime, you can see delicious summer fruits like raspberries and cornelian cherry on large trays.
Why You Should Visit Tajrish Bazaar
- It is one of the historical bazaars in Iran.
- This bazaar is located near Imamzadeh Saleh and in the heart of the Tajrish historical neighborhood.
- You can find a variety of goods of all kinds in this market.
- Besides sightseeing in this old market, you can go to the restaurants and cafes in the bazaar and taste different local foods.
Darband Recreational Site
Darband Recreational Site is a lush mountainous area with a pleasant climate in the north of Tehran where you can enjoy stunning sceneries away from the bustle and air pollution of the capital. Additionally, Darband is one of the best places to visit in Tehran for mountaineering, walking, and meeting local people.
Along with the beautiful nature, Darband Télésiège, numerous cafes, restaurants, and stalls have made it one of the main fun places in Tehran.
Notably, Darband nights are popular, and many people choose night touring; Because all the cafes, restaurants, and shops illuminate, and its nightlife is fascinating.
Why You Should Visit Darband Recreational Site
- A recreational site like Darband with a river that burbles through the rocks and trees in a bustling city like Tehran is impressive.
- In Darband, in addition to enjoying the beautiful nature, eating delicious meals will create a memorable trip.
- If you are interested in mountaineering, Darband to Tochal route can be an excellent option for you.
The three-story Tabiat bridge, literally meaning nature bridge, in Tehran is a pedestrian bridge that connects Taleghani Park to Ab-o-Atash Park. With its unique structure, Tabiat Bridge has won numerous international awards and has become one of the symbols of Tehran.
Notably, it is the largest pedestrian bridge in the Middle East and the first one in Iran, and one of the best places to visit in Tehran.
Nature Bridge consists of 3 floors, which the food court is located on the first floor.
The second floor, with an area of about 2870 square meters, has a cozy atmosphere where you can relax a bit on its benches and enjoy the peace and beauty.
And finally, from the third floor, it offers a wonderful view of Tehran, especially at sunset. This floor is the best one for walking and strolling. Also, there are two viewpoints on its north and south that are the best places for photography. From there, you will see a beautiful view of the capital and Damavand Mountain (the highest peak in Iran).
Why You Should Visit Tabiat Bridge
- From this bridge, you will enjoy a unique view of the vibrant capital of Iran.
- Nature Bridge is one of the symbols of Tehran.
- This bridge is not only to cross over, but it provides a pleasant atmosphere and facilities, such as cafes and restaurants, that entertain you for a couple of hours.
- It is a great place to meet friendly locals.
- Tabiat Bridge, as a unique structure, has wined international awards.
- It is one of the most popular places in Tehran for photography and taking selfies.
National Museum of Iran
The National Museum of Iran (Museum of Ancient Iran) is Iran’s oldest, most important, and largest museum. As a mother museum with an infrastructure of more than 20,000 square meters and an area of 18,000 square meters, this museum consists of two parts: ancient Iran and the Islamic era. Historical objects from the Paleolithic period to the Sassanid period are exhibited in the section of ancient Iran. On the other hand, you can see more recent works from the post-Islamic period in the Islamic section.
Notably, more than 300,000 objects from different cultural periods of Iran are kept and exhibited in this museum.
Why You Should Visit National Museum of Iran
- It is the largest and oldest archeological and historical museum in Iran and one of the best museums in Tehran.
- This museum is considered as a reference museum or mother museum for all museums in Iran.
- You can see incredible objects from prehistoric Iran to the Islamic era in this museum.
- By visiting this museum, you can review the history of Iran from the beginning to the end and the historical events and periods in the order in which they happened.
- It is located in the tourist zone of Tehran that is very easy to access by public transportation.
Tehran Grand Bazaar
Tehran Grand Bazaar is one of Iran’s most important traditional bazaars, considered the heart of Iran’s economy. This bazaar, located in the old part of Tehran, is a monument of the Qajar era, an excellent destination for shopping lovers due to the variety of goods and lower prices. Also, The Grand Bazaar of Tehran, with an area of about 105 hectares, is dedicated to the sale of various goods and includes a collection of retailers, wholesalers, workshops, warehouses, etc.
Therefore, one of the best places to buy Iranian souvenirs is the Grand Bazaar of Tehran.
Finally, Tehran Grand Bazaar has everything: Traditional Timcheh, stylish multi-story passages, traditional restaurants, fast foods, caravanserais, sidewalks, etc., which satisfies all tastes and has become one of the top places to visit in Tehran.
Why You Should Visit Tehran Grand Bazaar
- It is one of the largest markets in Iran and the heart of the country’s economy.
- Grand Bazaar of Tehran is a valuable relic from the Qajar period.
- There are important historical monuments such as mosques, Shrines, etc., in this bazaar.
- It is easily accessible by public transport.
- As it lies in the tourist zone of Tehran, you can visit other Tehran points of interest nearby.
- This market is an attractive destination for shopping lovers, where you can find a variety of goods from food to handicrafts of different Iran cities.
- It is also an excellent destination for travelers who love food due to the presence of quality restaurants.
Treasury of National Jewels (National Jewelry Museum)
The National Jewelry Museum of Iran, located in the basement of the Central Bank of Iran, is a unique and precious treasure of the most exquisite jewelry in the world that no one has estimated its actual value.
Today, the National Jewelry Museum is one of the most attractive tourist destinations in Tehran, which preserves and preserves the exquisite treasures of royal jewelry under the title of National Treasury.
It is noteworthy that the expensive jewelry in this museum dates back to the Safavid era.
Before visiting the National Jewelry Museum of Iran, consider the following points.
- The National Jewelry Museum of Iran welcomes visitors only on Saturdays to Tuesdays from 14:00 to 17:00.
- Children under 12 years old are not permitted to visit this Museum.
- Since this place has many stairs, no elevator, and no escalator, it is difficult to visit for people with physical disabilities.
- Bringing any items other than the manual is prohibited, and visitors are required to hand over all their personal belongings to the museum safe before entering.
- Photography is prohibited at the National Jewelry Museum of Iran.
Why You Should Visit Treasury of National Jewels
- You can see some of the best, most valuable, and most beautiful jewels of Iran and the world, including the Darya Noor Diamond (the world’s largest pink diamond), Noor-ul-Ain Diamond, Kiani Crown, Naderi Throne, Tavoos Throne, Jewel sphere, yellow, black and red diamonds, the world’s largest spinel gemstone, etc.
- By visiting this treasury, you can watch unique examples of jewelry making, embellishment, and goldsmithing by Iranian and foreign artists.
Golestan Palace includes a collection of historical buildings that were built at different periods. This complex, considered one of the best places to visit in Tehran, stands in the old part of the city and can be easily accessed by public transport.
This palace has been inscribed as one of Iran’s UNESCO World Heritage sites and is an ideal place for photography in terms of architecture, art, and history.
Furthermore, the Golestan Museum Palace Complex consists of different sections: Marble Throne, Salam Hall, Mirror Hall, Khalvat-e Karimkhani, Diamond Hall, Emarat-e Badgir, Shams ol-Emareh Palace, Diamond Hall, Abyaz Palace, etc. Notably, Marble Throne and Khalvat-e Karimkhani dating back to the Karim Khan Zand era, are the oldest monuments in the Golestan complex.
Additionally, the cultural and historical complex of Golestan houses other sections such as the Manuscript Library, Royal Album House, Documentary Center, etc.
Finally, there are several Tehran points of interest around Golestan Palace; the most important one is Tehran Grand Bazaar.
Why You Should Visit Golestan Palace
- It is one of the UNESCO sites in Iran and is the only UNESCO site in Tehran.
- Golestan Palace is a unique example of architecture and decoration; You can not find similar tile works anywhere else.
- It is close to Tehran Grand Bazaar and can be reached by public transport.
- As it is located in the old part of Tehran, it takes you to the capital’s atmosphere in the old times.
- Its architecture is a combination of Iranian and European styles.
- Golestan Complex houses many museums with different themes.
- The Royal Album House of this collection is the second repository of photos and videos after the British Museum.
- Golestan Palace Documentary Center is known as one of the most important centers globally in terms of the number of written documents of the Qajar period.
If you have any other information about the best places to visit in Tehran or have any questions, please leave your comments.
Like this article?
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Get updated articles about Iran trip